I am all finished working at Zealand Falls Hut with the Appalachian Mountain Club, and back to having consistent internet access. The rest of the season was phenomenal. I enjoyed:
- absolutely spectacular fall foliage
- an undercast in Zealand Notch
- shenanigans with my fellow ‘croo’
- a ‘croo switch’ to Greenleaf Hut. I had the opportunity to hike up the Old Bridle Path and work there for an evening while one of their croo members came and worked at Zealand. It was fun to work with a different croo and at a different hut. It was quite a bit colder up at Greenleaf as compared to Zealand Falls.
- an insane amount of rainfall one day, causing the waterfall to swell higher than I’d ever seen it
- the season’s first snow
- a rare opportunity to meet people I admire very much: John and Jen Kimmich of the Alchemist Brewery in Waterbury, VT, the brewers of the infamous Heady Topper! The Kimmiches happened to stay at the hut one evening with their son. I had the opportunity to talk brewery and beer stuff with them, and get brewing advice from John. It was very cool! In their appreciation for our work, they sent us a case of Heady Toppers and Alchemist t-shirts!
Thank you so much to the AMC, the White Mountains, thru-hikers, guests, information volunteers, and my fellow croo members for an amazing fall and first season working in the huts!